My Daily Skincare

I've been meaning to break down my skincare routine for a while, but I just want to get a few things out of the way. First, some of the products I've linked are by The Face Shop, which I think doesn't ship to the US. However, their products are available on Amazon and some reputable Korean beauty websites (there are a lot of guides out there about buying k-beauty online, so a cursory search can help you in that department). Second, if you aren't familiar with the site, CosDNA is a great resource. You can just type in the product you're interested in and it breaks down the ingredient list and ranks each item individually by safety and a number of irritation factors.

Okay, now that that's done, let's go!

Whenever I wake up (which admittedly for me has been around 2pm lately):

Clinique 7 Day Scrub Cream
I shower first thing in the morning and just wash my face quickly with this while I'm in there. It effectively gets rid of all the goo I put on my face the night before (which I'll get to in a minute). It has kind of a gritty texture and leaves my skin a little dry, but I think that might also be because I use water that's just way too hot. I firmly believe that hot showers are one life's greatest joys and refuse to compromise on water temperature, though. *shrug*

Thayer's Witch Hazel Toner - Rose Petal
So your skin is slightly acidic, and water and most cleaners are basic in comparison. Cleansing and washing your face can mess with the pH of your skin a little bit, and something like this toner works to restore the natural balance by being roughly the same pH as your skin. This, for some people, can help prevent breakouts. It's alcohol free which is important to note, since alcohol dries some people out, and there's also a fragrance free version. But I'm obsessed with everything rose-scented and my skin isn't very sensitive so I just rolled with this one. It's very watery and soaks into your skin almost immediately, and comes in a pretty large bottle which should last you a while.

The Face Shop Rice Ceramide Moisturizing Toner
Unlike the witch hazel, this is a moisturizing toner, not an astringent. It's a thin watery layer that takes only a few seconds to fully absorb into your skin. It's my go-to when my skin feels a little dry just because it's so easy. It does contain a few fatty alcohols and is rose-scented, so if your skin is sensitive to those things proceed with caution.

The Face Shop Rice Ceramide Moisturizing Emulsion
Like the toner, this has some irritating ingredients and is definitely perfumed. It has more of a lotion-type consistency and clearly a whitish color, but I would still say it's pretty thin. It needs a few minutes to soak fully into the skin. I don't use this every morning, just on days where I think I might need an extra layer of moisture (so like, all winter).

CeraVe Eye Repair Cream
I'll be very up front, I wouldn't repurchase this. It's just too much money for something I feel like I'm not getting a ton of benefit from. It's a light cream that absorbs quickly but I've been using it for a few months and don't feel like I've really seen a change. I think any of my other serums applied lightly under the eye would have the same moisturizing effect without the $15 price tag.

The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%
I ordered this off Beautylish since The Ordinary's website is literally always out of stock of everything. I was also concerned about The Ordinary's shipping since I've heard their orders take a while to send out and their notifications can be delayed, but I haven't personally experienced it. Beautylish got me my package in a week, for what it's worth. Anyway, I love this stuff. It's like putting a filter over my face, but in real life. The texture of my skin smooths out, the blemishes look blurred. I only got this a few days ago, but I already regret not ordering more than one tube.

Ultra Sheer Suncreen Lotion
I try to apply sunscreen every day because I think it's a good habit to be in but I've gotten lazy lately. With the cold, overcast days and the lack of time spent outdoors I haven't been too worried about it this winter. If I notice the sun is out though, I put it on as a precaution, especially since the snow amplifies any effect the sun would normally have. I don't love this sunscreen but I don't hate it either. It's zinc-based but doesn't leave a white cast on me (I don't know my MAC color but I usually fall into the medium-beige category) and it's cheap. It doesn't pill under my makeup but I think it leaves my face looking a little oily and never feels like it's completely dried. So if you have any sunscreen suggestions send them my way!

Before bed (ironically this has lately been in the AM but I'm trying to fix this):

The Face Shop Rice Water Bright Cleansing Milk
The first step in the practice of double cleansing - the job of this cleanser is to break down the oils that build up on your skin and, in my case, any sunscreen or makeup that I've been wearing that day. It does leave a slight film on your skin when you rinse it off, which might bother some people. I don't get too hung up on it because the next step takes care of it to my satisfaction.

The Face Shop Rice Water Bright Cleansing Foam
It's called a cleansing foam but I don't think it foams up all that much. If you're one of those people (like me!) that like to rinse your face in a bubble bath every night you might be a little disappointed. Otherwise it gets the job done. I follow this up with some more witch hazel.

First, a word of caution. These are the maximum strength pads and you don't have to necessarily start at this strength. The pads are soaked in salicylic acid, which is a beta hydroxy acid (bha). I think the purpose is to exfoliate and help with cell turnover, which in turn helps prevent acne (don't quote me on the exact science, that's a very general overview, but it is widely recommended to help fight new breakouts). I like these because they'e affordable and ready to go, and they last me quite a while. They will definitely leave your face feeling tight, though, and I always follow this step with the Rice Ceramide toner and emulsion.

I bought this for the niacinamide, which is a pretty well-regarded ingredient for brightening your skin and fading hyperpigmentation left by acne. I think it's kind of pricey for what it is, so I'm considering switching The Ordinary's niacinamide in the future (if they ever get it back in stock). That being said, I do like the thin lotion-like texture of this. I thought it would be thicker but it's easy to spread across your face and doesn't take forever to absorb.

The Ordinary's website claims that this helps with dark eye circles, puffiness, and even cellulite. I've just started applying it on my face a few days ago so I'll make a new post when I decide if it has any benefits or not. It comes in a nice little dropper bottle, though, and that makes me feel like a scientist, so it has that going for it.

My basic goal in life is to look like Cate Blanchett when I get to her age and this is allegedly supposed to help. Whether or not it does, I really enjoy the process of putting it on (again, dropper bottle) and it's certainly not hurting me.

Previously for this step I was using CeraVe Skin Renewing Night Cream, which I loved. It's so thick and luxurious, I feel so pampered when I put it on. Unfortunately, it gave me a lot of closed comedones so I had to stop using it (it sits in my bathroom and mocks me every night).

Sometimes after this step I apply diluted tea tree oil (brand doesn't really matter, I diluted it myself in the bottle) as a spot treatment if I need it.

I use this as my last step before bed. It kind of seals everything in for the night. It's a gel, more or less, with little beads that burst as you rub in it. I love the texture and the process of applying it, and over all the layers I wear when I sleep I feel it does a good job of protecting my skin from drying out.

Misc.

I bought this on a whim and probably should've done more research on it. It claims to moisturize skin but clay masks typically dry you out (which this does). That being said, it's hella cheap and I love the smell (which is pretty strong). It does leave my skin soft and minimizes pores a bit, I think, but it's also not anything special. A good value for the price.

I have the sample from a Sephora birthday gift a while back and I try to use it sparingly because I like it so much and can't afford the full size. It smells like rose (surprise!) and has a gel-like consistency. I typically leave it on for about fifteen minutes after I cleanse. It doesn't dry me out and leaves my skin looking brighter.

Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer
If I'm running late (which is literally always) or travelling (also always) this is the one product out of the whole lot that I would take with me. It's travel size, thick enough to make up for the layers of moisturizer I'm otherwise missing, contains spf 15, and it's a killer primer for my makeup. What else could a girl ask for?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting In and Figuring Out

Part II: Chicago